Poetry Attack - Ode to the Distance

I don’t write poetry very often, I’m neither particularly profound or talented in this area. But occasionally the urge takes me and it seemed the best way to say what I wanted to express. The below is the result.

Ode to the Distance

I’ve never minded being home

It is my chosen place to roam

To read, to write, to settle down

There’s just no urge to be in town

I’m fine to potter all alone

To chat by email or by phone

So it doesn’t feel that wrong

I’ve been at home so very long

But sometimes I will take a pause

Confess to miss the great outdoors

The street is grey, the park is tame

Somehow it isn’t quite the same

As roaming in the beauty wide

As being in big countryside

I miss a taste of mountain air

To see a hill-swept vista fair

The splash of wave on rocky shore

A tumbling stream on lonely moor

The brush of breeze through forest trees

A windswept beach with rolling seas

Skies that boil with light and shade

Rain-washed clouds that pulse and fade

I miss the vast views, far away

I miss the distance in the day

And while I’m still content to be

Home alone, myself and me

Life still feels small, I long to see

A further view of things, maybe.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Very Short Story - A Surfeit of Irony

The Uniqueness of a Book

On Being Ordinary