The Validation of Strangers

I like reviews.

Anyone who knows me from my fanfiction days will know that. I’m happy to admit it. It’s an odd feeling, but a nice one, that little buzz of validation from a total stranger, often living hundreds of miles away. It is someone you will probably never meet and never know but yet they have taken the time and trouble to spare a few words to make your day. They like your writing. And for someone of an insecure and anxious disposition, that makes a massive difference.

Writing is an odd pursuit in that most of the time it is done in total isolation. And much like those hopeful youngsters singing in their bedrooms before applying for The Voice or X-Factor, a writer can never really be sure if they are actually any good at it until they sling their efforts out into the cauldron of public opinion. Reviews are the big reveal, the enthusiastic gush or the caustic put down, the moment one knows whether or not one is writing good stuff or total gubbins. It is what shows a writer where they stand.

There will always be negativity at times. Being who I am, I can receive a thousand compliments and one insult and it’ll be that insult that I dwell on. But I’ve been lucky so far in that all my reviews for The Disposable have been positive. It takes a lot for me to believe in myself, to accept that I might not be too bad at something, let alone any good. And getting nice reviews helps me to believe that perhaps, just perhaps, I’m not diabolically dreadful at this writing lark after all.

So I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has reviewed The Disposable on Amazon or Goodreads so far. Thank you so much to you all for giving me that happy little moment of belief. It was most kind of you.

But, one of the reasons I’m writing this is to reveal something else in regards reviews, something less personal and more vital that I didn’t understand until my publishers explained it to me. Verified reviews and ratings on Amazon really, really matter to a book. They are the catalyst to its visibility. I’m not entirely up to speed on the specifics of how it works, but my understanding is that the more reviews a book has, the more obvious it becomes. Basically, when people are poking around the site, the reviews are what help a book be seen by people who might otherwise not.

And, as I’m sure you can gather, the more obvious something is, the more likely people are to come across it and, if they are interested, buy it. The more likely it is to sell to people outside the immediate reach of the author.  The more likely it is, in other words, to be a success.

I’m not looking to be JK Rowling here. I just want what any author wants really – for people to read and like their work. And people aren’t going to read and like it unless they can discover it in the first place.

I’m not someone who likes being pushy and if it seems I’m being now, I’m very sorry. But if you have bought a copy of The Disposable and you liked it, please review. It doesn’t have to be an epic saga singing its praises, just a few words or a sentence will do. But it means so much, personally and professionally. And I really am sincere when I say it’s hugely important to me and to my book. Because that one review you post could just make enough of a difference. It could push The Disposable out in front of a whole new bunch of eyeballs. It could just make this work.

Thank you.


Comments

  1. Loved The Disposable. It definitely deserves the widest possible audience! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Very Short Story - A Surfeit of Irony

On Being Ordinary

The Art of Knowing Which Ship to Sail